Monday, October 21, 2013

make my vapor count

I am infatuated with cities.

the diversity
the momentum
the bright lights
the excitement
the desperate
the breath
the heartbeat
the beauty

we are in our nations capital. It is a fascinating city. One where government & history collide in a poetic ballet. If I chose to speak too quickly I could almost say out loud that I Could consider what life might be like in this metro area.

We took some time today to tour Arlington National Cemetery.

If you know me well... You know I deeply despise cemeteries. The dead are..well... Dead. & gone. Their eternal destination decided the moment they stepped foot in eternity.

But it was a good day.
A day we reflected on the fallen.
We understand the cost.
Having several friends that have lost their lives in service to their country. But there is something powerful about Arlington & the rows upon rows of gravestones that dot the land that reminded me that we are just a vapor. Our time on this earth is so very temporal.

The Bible tells us that.
James 4:14 "whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away"

these people of our past.... Their whole life is summed up by a dash between numbers on a gravestone... They don't care about the fantastic city lights, the hustle & bustle of Washington, they don't care that it was once General Robert E Lee's back yard they are buried in. They today are either in the presence of the Almighty God or they burn for all eternity in the lake of fire.

But I need to truly fall in love with people. The living ones. We need to take extra moments to talk to the guy making our pizza, or the woman in the bathroom ... Investing in people. The truth is if I am too busy to stop & take the time then why am I Doing what I am doing? If my life is a vapor... My vapor has to count before all my life is simply summed up by a dash.

No comments:

Post a Comment